Jesus always commissioned His disciples to both preach the Gospel and cast out demons. (Matthew 10:1, Mark 3:14-15, Mark 3:14-15.)
Jesus said, “These signs will follow those who believe. In My name they will cast out demons.” (Mark 16:17.)
As we look at the Scriptures, we find that demons have specific marks of personality.
They have a will (Matthew 12:44.)
They have emotions (James 2:19.)
They have knowledge (Mark 1:23, 24.)
They have self-awareness. (Mark 5:9.) They often name themselves with names such as anger, hate, envy, jealousy, fear.
They have a conscience but its seared (or too dead) to respond. (1 Timothy 4:2).
They have an ability to speak. (Mark 1:24).
They entice. (James 1:14).
They deceive e.g. heresies (1 Timothy 4:1-2.)
They enslave. (Romans 8:15.) e.g. compulsive talking, eating, addictions to alcohol, smoking, masturbation.
They torment and oppress. (2 Timothy 1:7.) e.g. Bring fear, condemnation, doubt.
They drive and compel. (Luke 8:29.) e.g. lust, murder, assault.
They defile. (Titus 1:15.) e.g. rock festivals.
Their function is to harass.
They often work groups, e.g. anger, fear, defiling, rejection etc.
Against our personal harmony. Against our peace of mind. Against our physical well-being.
They cause disruption with other people especially those close to us.
They drive, compel, torment and harass. They fight against our inner harmony and cause disruption in relationships.
We must resist them (James 4:7) or expel them. (Mark 1:39.)
Our emotions, attitudes and relationships. They cause resentment, hatred, fear and rebellion.
Our thoughts of the mind. They bring doubt, unbelief, indecision, procrastination and compromise.
On our tongue. They cause lying, cursing, gossip and blasphemy.
In sexual areas. They bring perversion, homosexuality and masturbation.
With addictions. They bring additions to alcohol, nicotine, gluttony and anorexia.
With physical infirmities. For example they can cause tumours, heart attacks, cancer, arthritis, allergies, cramps, asthma.
1. Through our own sin. For example being involved in idolatry, rebellion, sexual sin, having unforgiveness in our heart.
2. Through the sins of our ancestors (Exodus 20:5).
3. Domination of one person by another. For example someone under the influence of a Jezebel spirit.
4. Through our mind and thought life through fantasy.
5. Touching dead bodies without claiming the protection of the blood of Christ. (Numbers 19:11.)
6. Shock (particularly at times of an accident).
9. Marriage breakdown
10. Habits e.g. masturbation, smoking, bestiality.
11. Soul ties can occur when a close bond is broken between two people. This is especially the case between people who have had sex together and as a result they feel broken and damaged. It is as though their soul is scattered and their thoughts and emotions turn to that person who they had sex with. (Proverbs 6:27-32 warns against doing this and says a man’s soul will be scattered and destroyed through an adulterous relationship.)
12. Transference. A demonic spirit can transfer to us if we are very close friends with people who are not Christians. If we watch ungodly movies and television, listen to satanically inspired music, read unwholesome magazines. A demonic spirit can be transferred if a person has been affected by alcoholism. Transference of demonic spirits also occurs through sexual intercourse and including for child molestation. Transference of spirits in a church can happen if a person being prayed for is released from a demon and that demon then enters another person. By first claiming the protection of the precious blood of Jesus Christ over those attending the meeting and covering the meeting in prayer this can stop such transferences from occurring.
13. Rejection. This can occur at conception or as a result of practices in the family home. It can be caused by peers, through bullying and by self-rejection.
14. Spirits of tradition, pride and religion.
15. The occult. Including involvement in witchcraft and calling up the dead. (Deuteronomy 18:9-12.)
16. False religions are teachings which deny John 10:9 which says: “I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.”
17. Heresies e.g. Mormons, Freemasonry. (1 Timothy 4:1-2.)
18. Charms, idols and fetishes in our homes. (Deuteronomy 7:25-26.)
19. Yoga and Martial arts including Kung Fu, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Tai Chi, Judo (which are routed in Taoism and Buddhism).
20. Transcendental meditation, extra sensory perception, hypnosis.
21. Piercing the flesh (Leviticus 19:28, 21:5, Deuteronomy 14:1, 1 Kings 18:28, Mark 5:5.)
Humble ourselves; Be completely honest; Confess our sins. (James 5:14-16.); Repent from all sin; Forgive; and Call on the name of the Lord. (Acts 2:21.)
“I come to you Heavenly Father, in the mighty name of Your Son Jesus Christ. I search my heart and confess my sins especially unforgiveness, doubt, fear, unbelief, failure to honour my parents, any sexual sin, and anything else that would separate me from You. I renounce all sin and I believe that I have received Your forgiveness.
I now renounce absolutely any curses spoken over me and any self-imposed curses. I forgive any person who has ever cursed me with wrong words or actions. I renounce all soulish ties with any other person. I also renounce any inner vows that I have ever made against myself.
I believe that through the blood of Jesus Christ I am sanctified, made holy, set apart to God.
I specifically honour my parents and I forgive them. I renounce my own sins and the sins of my ancestors in the name of Jesus Christ. I renounce all idolatry, witchcraft and anything of the occult and all hidden things of darkness. I believe that at the Cross of Jesus Christ I was delivered from every curse of the law. I call upon You, Lord Jesus to set me free from every demonic power that has affected me.
I now renounce Satan and all his works. I hate his demons. I count them my enemies in the name of Jesus. I loose myself every dark spirit, from every evil influence, from every satanic bondage, from every spirit in me that is not the Spirit of God. I command all such spirits to leave me now in the name of Jesus Christ. Thank you Heavenly Father for setting me free! Amen!”